From glamour to murder, everything that your busy mind needs to relax is yours on DStv Compact this May.
There’s murder under the sun as Death In Paradise Season 11 brings us case solving fun from one of the Caribbean’s deadliest islands. If you’re any kind of celebrity (or even a chess player), we’d advise you to give Saint Marie a skip on your itinerary. Speaking of murder, cutting edge true crime series Caught In The Net Season 1 looks at how everyone leaves digital fingerprints online, whether they’re aware of it or not.
There’s lifestyle fun, too, with cooking competition series Chopped: Next Gen Season 1 and home reno series Mash Up Our Home Season 1, which looks at how couples’ clashing styles can lead to exciting design solutions. And Oscars, take a seat. E! (DStv Channel 124) is bringing us the ceremony where the Red Carpet is the beginning and end of the show, in E! Live From The Red Carpet: The Met Gala 2022. It’s a little electric zap for your creativity, or just a funny night to have a laugh at the people who missed this year’s assignment.
And in honour of Africa Day on Wednesday, 25 May, DStv will be spotlighting African films that bring us the warmth of the continent with the AfroCinema Pop-Up channel (DStv Channel 198), from Friday, 20 May to Sunday, 29 May. You’ll be able to join in this Premium experience when you ADD Movies for just R99 this May. Linking ADD Movies to your existing DStv package makes DStv’s Premium movie channels M-Net Movies 1, M-Net Movies 2 and fliekNET available on your DStv decoder, along with selected pop-up channels.
Read on for more about these shows, a list of other highlights coming to DStv Compact in May like the Clash of The Cover Bands Season 1 finale…and what you can enjoy from the other packages you also have access to, like Dineo Ranaka’s new cooking series, Ishushu Season 1.
5 Must-See May Compact shows
Death In Paradise Season 11
In the season 10 finale we saw Neville (Ralf Little) gearing up to confess his feelings to Florence (Josephine Jobert), now it’s time for her answer – but don’t hold your breath, because Florence is going undercover and we say goodbye to her in episode 4. In the crazier cases this season, a parachute jumper is stabbed in mid-air, we get a villain named Miranda Priestley (yes, like in The Devil Wears Prada), a woman reports her own murder, and famous singers are shot in 2 separate episodes.
Watch Death In Paradise Season 11 from Monday, 9 May at 19:00 on BBC Brit (DStv Channel 120).
E! Live from The Red Carpet: The Met Gala 2022
Oscars, step aside. This is the red carpet of the year. This year the theme of the fundraising event to benefit New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art is “Gilded Glamour”. Think not just gold, but the Gilded Age (1870 to 1890) – with notes of excess, piles and piles of lavish fabrics and a maximalist approach to design featuring deep, rich jewel tones. PS: you can watch the event live on E! on Tuesday morning at 01:45.
Watch E! Live from The Red Carpet: The Met Gala 2022 on Tuesday, 3 May at 20:00 on E! Entertainment (DStv Channel 124).
Caught In The Net Season 1
True crime. When things go tragically wrong, detectives can now use clues from people’s digital devices to help catch their killers. From FitBit data that revealed how a victim died, to the digital fingerprint that linked a killer to 14-year-old April Dawn Millsap, and records from digital devices that led detectives to a suspect who groomed and kidnapped 2 13-year-old girls, these criminals were caught by a digital network.
Watch Caught In The Net Season 1 from Monday, 2 May at 21:00 on ID (DStv Channel 171).
Chopped: Next Gen Season 1
1of the OG cooking competition series gets a new recipe. Liza Koshy hosts as young and hungry chefs compete using innovative techniques to create fresh dishes in the show’s special outdoor kitchen. No matter what weird palate taunting ingredients the production team loads into their mystery baskets, judges Mei Lin, Nyesha Arrington, and Esdras Ochoa will be expecting the end dish to be a sublime balance of flavour, presentation and inspiration.
Watch Chopped: Next Gen Season 1 from Wednesday, 11 May at 19:55 on The Food Network (DStv Channel 175).
Mash Up Our Home Season 1
He wants a sports bar-themed Man Cave, she wants Kim Kardashian’s empty white caverns. She’s a pastel princess and he’s Mr Mid Century! Husband and wife design team Kele Dobrinski and Christina Valencia have to balance compromise and design as they take on couples whose design choices clash, and come up with solutions and spaces to please them both. It’s 7 homes, 7 months, and we get to see some of the technical processes in bringing the designs to life.
Watch Mash Up Our Home Season 1 from Friday, 13 May at 22:00 on HGTV (DStv Channel 177).
- Clash of The Cover Bands: The Finale on Sunday, 15 May at 21:00 on E! Entertainment (DStv Channel 124) at 21:00
- MasterChef Season 18 from Monday, 30 May at 18:00 on BBC Lifestyle (DStv Channel 174)
- Evil Lives Here: Shadows of Death Season 2 from Tuesday, 31 May at 21:00 on ID (DStv Channel 171)
- Kids Baking Championship Season 10 from Friday, 27 May at 19:55 on The Food Network (DStv Channel 175)
- The Pioneer Woman Season 29 from Thursday, 12 May at 19:00 on The Food Network (DStv Channel 175)
- Girl Meets farm Season 8 from Wednesday, 12 May at 19:55 on The Food Network (DStv Channel 175)
- Cheap Old Houses Season 1 from Monday, 2 May at 21:00 on HGTV (DStv Channel 177).
- 40 Year Old Property Virgin Season 1 from Monday, 16 May at 22:00 on HGTV (DStv Channel 177).
- Building Roots Season 1 from Wednesday, 25 May at 21:00 on HGTV (DStv Channel 177).
- Welcome Home Nikki Glaser Season 1 from Sunday, 29 May at 21:00 on E! Entertainment (DStv Channel 124) at 21:00
- Inside Beverly Hills Season 1 from Thursday, 19 May at 20:00 on BBC Lifestyle (DStv Channel 174)
And because you also get to see ALL the shows on DStv Family and Access, too, look out for:
- Primal Survivor: Escape The Amazon Season 1 from Wednesday, 4 May at 21:00 on National Geographic (DStv Channel 181)
- Lost Treasures of Rome Season 1 from Wednesday, 20 May at 19:00 on National Geographic (DStv Channel 181)
- Secrets of The Zoo: Tampa Season 2 from Friday, 20 May at 18:00 on National Geographic Wild (DStv Channel 182)
- Private Eyes Season 3 from Friday, 6 May at 20:00 on Universal TV (DStv Channel 117)
- Ishushu Season 1 from Monday, 8 May at 18:00 on Moja Love (DStv Channel 157)
- Enough Is Enough Season 1 from Tuesday, 3 May at 21:30 on Moja Love (DStv Channel 157)
- Say Yes To The Dress Around The World Season 1 from Tuesday, 3 May at 20:00 on TLC (DStv Channel 135)
- My Feet Are Killing Me Season 2 from Friday, 13 May at 20:00 on TLC (DStv Channel 135)
- Grand Designs UK Season 15 from Monday, 9 May at 17:00 on The Home Channel (DStv Channel 176)
- 90 Day Fiancé Season 9 from Thursday, 26 May at 21:00 on TLC (DStv Channel 135)
- Overcoming Fear Season 1 from Monday, 2 May at 16:30 on tlnovelas (DStv Channel 133)
- Nick Knowles’ Home Improvements Season 1 from Monday, 2 May at 19:00 on The Home Channel (DStv Channel 176)