Since our inception, Africa Magic has been on a mission to provide accessible, widely loved, and high-quality African entertainment to viewers across the continent. From a single channel, we've evolved into a family of seven, Providing millions of viewers with rich stories in English and Indigenous Nigerian languages: Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa.
As we celebrate 20 years of creating pure magic, Here are 20 top moments from Africa Magic's awe-inspiring journey:
- The Launch of Africa Magic: The journey to becoming a powerhouse in African entertainment started in 2003, and now we are a force to reckon with!
- New channels, more premium entertainment: In a bid to cater to our vast audience, Africa Magic has expanded over the years with its offerings to include the following channels: Africa Magic Epic, Africa Magic Family, Africa Magic Hausa, Africa Magic Igbo, Africa Magic Showcase, Africa Magic Urban and Africa Magic Yoruba.
- Commissioning original Nigerian content: In twenty years, Africa Magic has produced over 2,500 hours of authentic content and licensed over 10,000 hours, with more to come in 2023.
- Wide Pan-African Reach: DStv's Africa Magic has reached audiences across over 42 countries across the African continent, bridging cultural gaps and promoting unity among millions.
- Consistent Partnerships with Nollywood: At Africa Magic, we are keen on contributing to the growth of the Nigerian film industry. As such, in our twenty years of existence, we have played a pivotal role in promoting Nollywood films and nurturing talent.
- Establishing the AMVCA award show: As the African entertainment industry boomed, a need for viewers to celebrate the impeccable content created by local talent emerged; thus, we created The Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards(AMVCA), a prestigious event where outstanding achievements in film and television are recognized.
- Introduction of the first-ever Industry Merit AMVCA award: As Africans, we pay homage to our elders. In 2023, Africa Magic introduced a new award category to celebrate the likes of Patience Ozokwo, a notable veteran who paid her dues and carried the Nollywood film industry.
- Putting African fashion on the map: From the AMVCA Red Carpet Moments to Ebuka's fashionable looks at BBNaija live shows, Africa Magic is a medium to showcase designers and the bold fashion statements of African celebrities.
- Bringing Big Brother to Naija: Bringing various entertainment genres to our viewers is our passion! Africa Magic brought the well-acclaimed reality TV show Big Brother Naija to Nigeria, creating everything locally and enriching the lives of Nigerian indigenes.
- The Voice launches on Africa Magic: In April 2016, the leading provider of premium Africa Magic launched The Voice Nigeria, a Nigerian version of the internationally acclaimed reality singing competition.
- Nigerian Idol's returns: After a five-year hiatus, Africa Magic revived and premiered Nigerian Idol in 2021.
- Introducing Ultimate Love to Nigeria: MultiChoice Nigeria launched a brand-new reality dating TV show titled 'Ultimate Love' in 2020. Its success brought a sea of other loved dating shows on Africa Magic, like Date My Family and What Will People Say.
- Creating original comedy series: Laughter is good for the soul, and in our twenty years of existence, Africa Magic has caught the hearts of viewers and showcased the humor and wit of African comedians with popular comedy shows like My Flatmates, The Johnsons, and Comedy Nites.
- Giving Naija its very own game show: In 2022, Africa Magic reintroduced Come Play Naija, a 60-minute game show following the first edition's success.
- Tinsel reaches a milestone of 3,500 episodes: Notably famous Africa Magic Original Drama series, Tinsel celebrated a colossal feat in 2022, creating 3,500 episodes and counting!
- Introducing new Telenovelas: To join the vast list of hit series and shows on Africa Magic, we introduced Telenovelas like Battleground, Hush, Ajoche, Brethren, Unbroken, Riona, and Enakhe which became extremely popular among viewers.
- Bringing the party to your screens: With shows like Turn Up Friday, Africa Magic has kept viewers happy and in tune with the latest hits over the years.
- Supporting Emerging Filmmakers with the MultiChoice Talent Factory: An academy created to hone and polish the skills of emerging creatives in the film and television industry.
- Investment in content: Over the years, Africa Magic has created a 260-episode series yearly. However, viewers should now expect a new 130-episode series every six months!
- Paying homage to Nigerian roots with story-telling: To mark our 20th anniversary, Africa Magic is investing in stellar products across our indigenous channels, starting with new shows: Apo, Iwe, and Kariya.
Join us to celebrate a new dawn and a rebranded Africa Magic. To explore all the incredible new content, download the #MyDStv or #MyGOtv app or dial *288# to subscribe, renew, or upgrade your subscription.