500g Calamari tubes
150g Feta cheese, cut to fit the calamari tubes
100g Sundried tomatoes, cut to fit the calamari tubes
500g Prawn tails
100g Vine leaves
125ml White wine
4 Large cloves of garlic, grated
500g Butter, melted
To taste Salt and black pepper
2 Medium red onion, thinly sliced in rings
125ml Olive oil
Half Juice of fresh Lemon
125g Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
15g Fresh ginger, grated
2 pinches Saffron strands
1g Cayenne pepper
2g Rosemary and Olive seasoning
30ml Tomato paste
250ml Hot water
2ml Ras el Hanout
2g Smoked Spanish paprika
To taste Salt
1 Preserved Lemon or Fresh lemon
80g Olives, stuffed with anchovies
1. Wash calamari tubes and dry. Fill the tubes with the feta and sundried
tomatoes and set aside.
2. Wash prawn tails and dry. Wrap prawns in vine leaves, trimming the leaves
where needed, and set aside. Leave some of the prawns unwrapped.
3. Place mussels in a medium mixing bowl, pour wine, half the garlic, salt and
butter and mix well.
4. In the tagine pot arrange the onion rings to cover the bottom of the tagine and
then arrange calamari tubes and prawns evenly.
5. Drizzle olive oil and squeeze lemon over. Add the other half of the garlic,
chopped parsley, ginger, turmeric, saffron strands, cayenne pepper, rosemary and olive seasoning and salt and pepper.
6. Cover with lid and place in cold oven (rack removed), set the oven on 200°C. Cook for about 30 minutes. Alternatively, place on coal tagine cookers, starting the fire just before placing the tagine on it. *Tagine clay pots have to be placed in a cold oven or to prevent the pot from cracking.
7. Mix in a small bowl tomato paste, hot water, chermoula, smoked paprika & salt to taste.
8. Remove tagine from oven. Do NOT stir; arrange mussels, lemon preserves and olives evenly in pot. Pour tomato paste mix over, close lid and return to oven for another 10 - 15 minutes.
9. Check the consistency of the sauce, it will be thick when ready. Be careful not to overcook the seafood.
Keen for more tasty recipes? Watch My Kitchen Rules South Africa Season 2 every Sunday at 18:00, only on #MNet101. Watch exclusive interviews with the judges and contestants right here on our website and follow the conversation on Twitter @MNet / #MKRSA or on our official M-Net Facebook page.