Multichoice content leads at SAFTAs15 Craft Awards
Johannesburg, 21 May 2021: MultiChoice production partners have helped the leading video entertainment company tell amazing local stories and deliver the best films and TV shows to entertainment fans.
The behind-the-scenes talent were honoured for their prowess in directing, scriptwriting, cinematography and editing categories to name a few, at this year’s South African Film and TV Awards (SAFTAs) Craft Awards.
MultiChoice’s production houses with their exceptional crews scripted, directed and edited their way into more than half the Golden Horns for the Craft section, scooping over 32 Golden Horns at the awards ceremony hosted on YouTube page on Friday evening.
Awarded the Best Made for TV Documentary, Supersport’s Chasing the Sun, showcases the journey of the Springboks to their 2019 World Cup victory. The Golden Horn for Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – Telenovela went to the dynamic duo who head up Tshedza Pictures, Gwydion Beynon and Phatu Makwarela, for their telenovela The River, while Black Brain Pictures’s music scoring team sang their way to winning the award for Best Achievement in Original Music/Score for their work on Lockdown.
Here is the full list of winners who were integral to the Multichoice-aired content:
CRAFT AWARDS WINNERS:
1. Best Structured Soapie Reality Show: Life with Kelly Khumalo (Barleader TV) | Showmax
2. Best Documentary Feature: How to Steal a Country (Rehad Desai and Mark Kaplan) | Showmax
3. Best Made for TV Documentary: Chasing the Sun (SuperSport, SA Rugby and T+W) | SuperSport
4. Best Competition Reality Show: Celebrity Mystery Box (Brightfire Pictures) | Mzansi Magic
5. Best International Format Show: Hoor My, Sien My, Soen My (Afrokaans Film & Television) |kykNET
6. Best Current Affairs Programme: Carte Blanche: Women’s Month Special (Combined Artists) | M-Net 101
7. Best Variety Show: Republiek van Zoid Afrika (Brainwave Productions) | kykNET
8. Best Entertainment Programme: Maak My Famous – Showcase (All Star Entertainment)| kykNET
9. Best Made for TV Movie: Loving Thokoza (Black Brain Pictures) | Showmax
10. Best Achievement in Directing – Telenovela: Gomora Season 1 (Thabang Moleya, Nthabiseng Mokoena, Nozipho Nkelemba and Lefuno Nekhabambe) | Mzansi Magic
11. Best Achievement in Directing - TV Soap : Binnelanders (Danie Joubert, Roché Knoesen, Riaan Meij, Charl van Biljon, Gerrit Schoonhoven and Jaco Vermeulen) |kykNET
12. Best Achievement in Directing -TV Drama: Tydelik Terminaal (Etienne Fourie and Elanie Rupping) | kykNET
13. Best Achievement in Directing – Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Rehad Desai and Mark Kaplan) | Showmax
14. Best Achievement in Scriptwriting – Telenovela: The River (Gwydion Beynon and Phathutshedzo Makwarela) | On 1Magic
15. Best Achievement in Scriptwriting - TV Comedy: Black Tax (Byron Abrahams, Lwazi Mvusi, Joshua Rous and Meren Reddy) | BET and Showmax
16. Best Achievement in Scriptwriting - TV Drama: Housekeepers (Portia Gumede, Duduzile Mabaso, Lufuno Nemungadi and Lidudumalingani) | Mzansi Magic
17. Best Achievement in Scriptwriting - Feature Film: Toorbos (René van Rooyen) | kykNET
18. Best Achievement In Original Music/Score – Telenovela: The River (Brendan Jury) | 1Magic
19. Best Achievement in Original Music/Score - TV Drama: Lockdown (Kurt Slabbert, Jamela Vuma & Mandla Ngcongwane) | Showmax
20. Best Achievement in Original Music/Score - Feature Film: Toorbos (Andries Smit) | kykNET
21. Best Achievement in Editing – Telenovela: The River (Bongi Malefo, Edgar Sibaya, Sphiwe Nhlumayo & Ula Oelsen) | 1Magic
22. Best Achievement in Editing - TV Drama: Still Breathing (Miriam Arndt and Alistair Thomas) M-Net 101
23. Best Achievement in Editing – Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Megan Gill ) | Showmax
24. Best Achievement in Editing – Feature Film: Griekwastad (Lucian Barnard) | kykNET
25. Best Achievement in Sound - TV Soap/Telenovela: The River (Ben Oelsen & Tladi Mabuya) | 1Magic
26. Best Achievement in Sound - Documentary: How to Steal a Country (Charlotte Buys) | Showmax
27. Best Achievement in Cinematography – Telenovela: Legacy (Trevor Brown) | M-Net 101
28. Best Achievement in Cinematography – Documentary: Chasing the Sun (Carter Devin) | SuperSport
29. Best Achievement in Wardrobe - TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Zandile Mncwango) | M-Net 101
30. Best Achievement in Make-Up and Hairstyling- TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Jenny Sprawson) | M-Net 101
31. Best Achievement in Make-Up and Hairstyling - TV Drama: Trackers (Babalwa Mtshiselwa) | M-Net 101
32. Best Achievement in Art Direction - TV Soap/Telenovela: Legacy (Amanda Scholtz) | M-Net 101
The 15th annual South African Film and Television Awards will be broadcast on Mzansi Magic (DStv Channel 161) at 19:00. The virtual red carpet will take place at 18:30 on the SAFTAs YouTube page.