Joy, oh joy! After a two-year hiatus, the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards make their big return. Established to honour the brightest stars in Africa’s movie and television industry, all is set for an eighth edition that will be remembered for years to come.
As you may have heard, on Saturday March 19 at 21:00 WAT (22:00 CAT) on all Africa Magic channels on DStv and GOtv, this year’s festivities kick off with the eagerly anticipated #AMVCA8 Nominees announcement, where industry talent and fans alike will find out which thespians will be duking it out for top honours on awards night.
Nigeria entertainment darlings and AMVCA alums Adesua Etomi-Wellington and Daniel Etim-Effiong, will be taking up the mantle and presiding over the night’s events, as the entire continent watches.
The Nominees announcement marks the culmination of a gruelling process that saw our judges, led by Head Judge Victor Okhai, comb through thousands of deserving entries from across the continent, which were submitted for consideration during the entry phase.
Five fast facts about Adesua:
- Adesua’s full names are Tolulope Adesua Etomi-Wellington.
- She won the Best Actress (Drama) award at the 2016 Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards for her role in the 2015 romantic drama film Falling.
- In 2017, Adesua was nominated in the Best Actress (Drama/TV Series) category for her role on The Arbitration.
- Adesua’s role on Emem Isong’s Knocking on Heaven’s Door marked her first big screen appearance in Nigerian cinema. This was in 2014.
- She is one half of an entertainment power couple. She is married to musician Banky W.
Five fast facts about Daniel:
- He worked in the oil and gas industry as an engineer before deciding to switch. careers.
- He studied filming, writing and directing at AFDA Film School in South Africa.
- He directed his first film, a five-minute-long short film titled Prey, in 2017.
- He was nominated in the Best Actor Comedy (Movie/TV Series) category at the 7th AMVCAs in 2020.
- In 2020, he directed AMVCA7 winning documentary Skin, produced by Beverly Naya.
What we’re looking out for:
Apart from our talented hosts who will be steering the ship, here are three reasons why we’re keen to watch.
* After a weird slowing down across the world courtesy of the pandemic, we’re super excited to finally get to the business of honouring the people who make the silver screen and the big screen what it is, as the world opens up again. It’s nice to finally feel a sense of “moving forward” after a tough two years, and what better way to accelerate than to honour the best in the business, who have produced stellar work under difficult circumstances!
* Some brand-new categories have been added to the bill for this edition of the AMVCAs and that’s music to our ears! Look out for new categories for Best Online Social Content Creator and the return of the Best Africa Magic Original Drama Series and Best Africa Magic Original Comedy Series, which will bring the total number of categories to 33 this year.
* We can’t wait to see the excitement unfold as Nominees are announced. We may not know many things, but what we do know is that our social media timelines are about to light up. We’re not complaining though, because what’s better than being nominated for an Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Award?
There you have it; a precursor to this weekend’s eagerly-anticipated AMVCA8 Nominees reveal! Remember we’re on all Africa Magic channels on DStv and GOtv, on Saturday March 19 at 21:00 WAT (22:00 CAT).