What is Survivor?
- Survivor SA is a reality television series which places a group of strangers on an isolated island location where they must provide food, fire and shelter for themselves. The contestants compete in challenges for rewards and immunity from elimination. The aim of the game is to literally “Outwit, Outplay, Outlast” fellow competitors. Contestants are progressively voted off the island by their fellow castaways, until only one remains and is given the title of Sole Survivor and the grand prize of R1 Million.
Who should enter?
- Anyone who is an avid fan of the series and who has an intimate understanding of how the game works should enter.
When do entries open?
- Entries opened on 8 December 2019 at 20:00.
When do online entries close?
- Online entries close on 20 January 2020 at 00:00.
- No late entries will be considered. The sooner you submit your application the better.
May I enter online more than once to improve my chances?
- Multiple entries per person are not permitted.
- Entries are only valid if correctly submitted on the online entry platform.
Do I have to agree to all the terms and conditions to enter?
- Your valid submission of your entry constitutes your binding acceptance of the terms and conditions contained herein.
May I enter the show if I have been on other reality shows?
- Yes, given that you disclose all the reality shows you have participated in.
Can I enter online?
- Yes. We strongly encourage everyone to enter online at www.mnet.tv/survivorsa
Can employees of the Naspers group enter the show?
- Employees of Afrokaans, Electronic Media Network (Pty) Ltd or the MultiChoice Group of Companies may not enter the show.
What does the online application entail?
- The online entry process will require the completion of a personal profile, a few short questions and a video.
What should the video cover?
- The video should feature you authentically. Play to your strengths, have some fun and bowl us over with your on-screen presence, and most importantly, your game plan. You need to tell us everything we need to know about why you would be perfect for Survivor SA season 8. Be yourself. Be as creative as you like! A few questions you may want to answer in your submission could include:
- Your name, age, where you live and what you do.
- What do you love about Survivor?
- Why are you applying for Survivor South Africa?
- Why should you be part of the show?
- Who is your favourite Survivor contestant of all time?
- Important to note: if your entry video is uploaded via Youtube, the privacy setting should be UNLISTED and not PUBLIC.
How long should my video be?
- No longer than 3 minutes please.
But I am not a professional cameraperson and I don’t have a camera!
- Don’t panic! We are not judging your camera skills – we just want to see you in action. You can use your phone – the video quality is not important.
Is there an age restriction for entry?
- Yes. Contestants must be 18 years old or older by 20 January 2020.
Do I have to be a South African citizen?
- Yes. You must be a South African citizen or have permanent residence status.
- You will be required to show proof of identity.
- You must also have a passport that is valid until August 2020.
Will a background check be done on all entrants?
- If you are short-listed, consent must be given to the Producers to conduct background, criminal and psychometric checks. You understand that consenting to these checks is no guarantee of being chosen to participate.
When will I be notified if I am successful or not?
- Once your entry has been received, it will be evaluated and assessed.
- You will only be contacted by the Producers or their representatives for further details should your entry be shortlisted.
- Should your submission be shortlisted by M-Net, in its sole discretion, more information will be requested from you.
When does filming take place?
- Filming will take place during the following period: March 2020 and May 2020.
How long do I need to be available for the production?
- If you are selected to take part in Survivor SA season 8, you will be away for up to 50 days during March 2020 and May 2020, should you make it all the way to the final Tribal Council.
How much time off work will I need to take?
- If you are successful and are shortlisted for the show, you will need to be available for 2-3 days in December/January to meet the producers and selection team, as well as for physical and medical assessments. Following that, the production team will send you more information. If you are selected, the production team can also issue a confidential letter to your employer to explain that you will be taking part in the show for up to 50 days.
Where is the show taking place?
- The location of Survivor SA season 8 will remain a secret until filming starts in 2020.
What is the prize for winning the show?
- Apart from the title of Sole Survivor, there will be a R1 Million cash prize for the winner. More information around the prize package will be announced at a later stage.
When will Survivor SA season 8 be broadcast?
- The show will be broadcast in 2020 on M-Net channel 101.
Who is the host of the show?
- The host of the show is Nico Panagio.
Who is producing Survivor SA season 8?
- Afrokaans Film and Television is producing Survivor South Africa.
Will there be any medical, physical or psychological screenings?
- If you are shortlisted by the Producers, you must be prepared to undergo psychological and medical screenings. The full details of this will be explained to you in advance.
Will we be filmed for 24 hours?
Will I have access to the outside world once I am successful?
- There will be no access to the outside world as you will be castaway on a remote island.
Will I be medically covered during my time on Survivor SA?
- You will be issued a specified Personal Accident policy whilst on the show, however, any pre-existing or chronic medical conditions will not be covered by the production.
Do I have to participate in every activity that is planned on the show?
- Yes, unless you are deemed medically unfit due to injury on the show.
Will I get paid to compete on Survivor SA season 8?
- No, but there will be a stipend issued for time away from home.