Based on an Israeli series called Hatufim, Homeland is back for a fifth season with its inscrutable leading lady, Carrie Mathison, back in action. Set two years after the events of Season 4, you can expect pertinent political issues to be woven into the storyline, including ISIS, Vladimir Putin, the Charlie Hebdo shooting, and Edward Snowden.
Get better acquainted with Homeland before it starts, with these ten intriguing facts about the show and its cast.
- Some of the images used in the opening credits are pictures of Claire Danes (Carrie Mathison) as a child
- In addition to House of Cards, U.S. President Barack Obama watches this show – as does Hillary Clinton.
- The military uniforms worn in the show are not accurate. However, this is intentional, because it is illegal to impersonate a U.S. Marine, even for fiction’s sake.
- Claire Danes almost teamed up with Leonardo DiCaprio again after Romeo and Juliet, having auditioned for the role of Rose Dawson in Titanic.
- Damian Lewis’ (Nicholas Brody) father was the mayor of London from 1969 to 1970, and his grandfather was the royal doctor to King Henry V.
- Yes, in case you didn’t already know: Damian Lewis is not American. He was born and raised in London, and even attended the prestigious Eton College.
- Another fact that many already know – but just in case you didn’t – Season 4 was filmed in Cape Town. Fans spotted Danes chilling in Kalk Bay, Woodstock and Gardens. The fifth season was filmed, and is set, in Berlin.
- Carrie Mathison's name was meant to be Claire, but changed when Claire Danes got the part.
- Halle Berry was offered the part of Carrie, but turned it down.
- Navid Negahban, who played Abu Nazir, is a trained mime.