They're one of viewers' favourite TV families, but they're unlike any family you've ever seen on TV. Shameless is not the wholesomeness of The Brady Bunch or The Cosby Show! With that in mind we're giving you nine reasons why we think Shameless is awesome - before we start prepping the coffee.
What's with the coffee, you ask? It's because we're getting up bright and early to watch Frank and family on M-Net Edge Express from the U.S. Season 6 starts on Tuesday 12 January at 03:00, but you can also get it on your DStv Explora from 04:00 or watch it in prime time from Wednesday 13 January at 21:00.
But first, here are just nine of the reasons we watch Shameless.
1. William H. Macy. This doesn't really need further explanation, but we're going to explain it anyway. Macy is a fantastic character actor who's proved his ability to mix humour, pathos and drama, time and again. Just look at the way he's made us fall in love with Frank - even though we shouldn't...or should we?
2. It's underrated. Shameless has received a handful of awards' nominations, with a win here and there for William H. Macy and Joan Cusack; but the series itself has been grossly overlooked. Watching Shameless, then, is like supporting the underdog of Hollywood television.
3. Funny haha or funny weird? Shameless is unafraid and unapologetic when it comes to its humour, swerving from dark to dry without ever resorting to the inane.
4. While big names like William H. Macy, Joan Cusack and Dermot Mulroney have all formed part of the cast, every single actor does their share. It's undeniably one of the best ensembles on television, with every actor shining in their role while contributing to the show as a whole.
5. This is real life! Shameless doesn't gloss over the trials and tribulations of life in general, and family life in particular. There's no sugar-coating, as every moment - whether big or banal - is rawly exposed.
6. Chicago looks a little different. As with the big issues it tackles, it doesn't gloss over the city in which it's set.
7. Complexity. This is part of what makes the show so great. The characters elevate the story from falling into farce. Diverse and all kinds of different, the characters pull us into their world through emotional intricacy and visceral honesty.
8. The opening credits! It's one of the best on TV - capturing the characters and epitomising the show's spirit.
9. Craziness!!! Yes, at it's core it's a serious show saying serious things; but we'd be lying if we said we didn't enjoy the crazy antics the Gallaghers and their neighbours get up to!