In this instalment of the X-Men franchise, we delve deeper into Jean Grey, the resident telepathic and telekinetic with distinctive long red hair.
- Sophie Turner, who plays the lead of Grey, says she studied mental illness to play this role.
- The movie has been released as X-Men: Dark Phoenix everywhere in the world and on home video besides the US where it is simply called Dark Phoenix.
- This is the second Marvel movie to be released in 2019 that is set in the 1990s. The other movie is Captain Marvel.
- The specific year the movie is set in is 1992, the same year that this mutant superhero team received a costume redesign in the animated series.
- The X-Men franchise first touched on Dark Phoenix in X-Men: The Last Stand from 2006, co-written by Simon Kinberg. He returned to this movie to make his directorial debut.
- Jennifer Lawrence once again comes back as the mutant, Mystique. It is Lawrence's second instance where she plays a character four times. We saw her as Katniss Everdeen in four Hunger Games movies.
Watch X-Men: Dark Phoenix, your Sunday night movie on 19 April at 20:05 on M-Net, channel 101.
If you miss any movie on M-Net 101 you can always watch them on DStv Catch Up or on M-Net Movies Premiere channel 104.