2016 was a magical year for us as we hit the big 3-0! Who could have imagined that our small start in 1986 would bring us to broadcasting in over 40 channels, in over 10 languages to almost 50 countries? It’s been a magical journey and we have selected our top 10 incredible moments that have highlighted our journey:
- We were awarded the first Pay TV license in Africa in 1985 and had our first broadcast in October 1986.
- Carte Blanche launched in 1988.
- After airing the Currie Cup game bwteen Western Province and Northern Transvaal in 1986, we launched SuperSport in 1989.
- Our one millionth decoder came off the assembly line in 1991.
- We took the magic into Africa in 1992 when M-Net Africa was launched.
- South Africa’s best-loved soapie Egoli: Place of Gold hit its 2000th episode mark in 1999.
- We brought you our versions of the best international reality shows with Big Brother SA in 2001 and Idols SA in 2002.
- Being in entertainment, the next step was to launch the Magic In Motion Academy in 2014, with its focus on the development of budding creatives in both film and television.
- In 2004, M-Net Cares was launched.
- In 2016, we continued bringing the best in entertainment with 10.4 million subscribers not wanting to miss a moment of the action.
And what would 30 be without a party to mark the occasion? We had three magical nights of celebration with our media partners, South Africa’s biggest stars and other individuals who contributed to our success.
Stars like Lira, The Voice SA Season 1 winner Richard Stirton, The Parlotones, Claire Johnston, Mzansi Magic’s Clash of The Choirs, and Khaya Mthethwa among others were there to rock the stage.
And you, our loyal viewers could not miss any of the festivities. Every moment of the gala evenings was recorded and you get to sit back and share in the magical birthday celebration.
You can catch the #MNet30 birthday television special on:
24 December at 19:30 – kykNET;
24 December at 19:00 – M-Net Family;
24 December at 16:30 – Mzansi Wethu;
30 December at 20:00 – kykNET & kie.