1. What is The Voice SA?
The Voice SA is a reality television singing competition that has taken the world by storm. South Africa is the 60th country to produce a local version of this show, which originated in the Netherlands as The Voice of Holland.
2. How does the competition work?
Contestants are singers drawn from public auditions and there are three stages to the competition once the selection committee has chosen successful candidates.
a) “Blind auditions”: Four coaches, all noteworthy recording artists, listen to the contestants in chairs facing opposite the stage so as to avoid seeing them. If a coach likes what they hear from that contestant, they press a button to rotate their chairs to signify that they are interested in working with that contestant. If more than one coach presses their button, the contestant chooses the coach he or she wants to work with. The blind auditions end when each coach has a set number of contestants to work with. Coaches will dedicate themselves to developing their singers mentally, musically and in some cases physically, giving them advice, and sharing the secrets of their success.
b) "Battle Rounds": each coach pairs two of his or her team members to perform together, then chooses one to advance in the competition.
c) “Live shows”: Contestants then perform in the Live Shows where viewers determine their fate. The ultimate goal is to be voted the winner of The Voice South Africa!
3. What is the difference between The Voice and other reality singing competitions like Idols and The X Factor?
The Voice is the only singing competition where a panel of four professional recording artists act as coaches to the singers. The contestants receive guidance and mentorship from these coaches throughout the competition.
4. When will it be on television? On which channels?
The Voice SA will be aired exclusively on M-Net Channel 101 on DStv Premium. It will start airing in January 2016.
5. Who should enter The Voice SA?
Any person who is over the age of 18 and is a South African citizen may enter.
6. How do I enter The Voice SA? Auditions are taking place in the following cities on the following dates:
- Cape Town – PPC Newlands Cricket Ground on 17 & 18 October;
- Durban – Kings Park Rugby Stadium on 24 & 25 October;
- Johannesburg – Mark’s Park on 31 October & 01 November
Auditions start at 09:00, but those auditioning may arrive from 08:00.
7. Who will decide whether I will be going through to the next round?
A panel of professional vocal coaches will determine who will go through to the “Blind Auditions” to sing for the four coaches.
8. How do I prepare for the auditions? What will the selection committee be looking for?
The vocal coaches are simply looking for amazing voices. Prepare a song that suits your vocal style.
9. Will the contestants in The Voice do pop music only, or is there room for different music genres?
The Voice SA will cover all music genres.
10. Can I audition with a musical instrument?
Yes, you may audition with any musical instrument of your choice, but you will have to bring your own instrument with you on the audition day. Instruments will not be available at the venues otherwise.
11. Will the auditions be screened on television?
The open auditions will not be screened on television. The television show starts with the “Blind Auditions” when the best singers only will perform for the four coaches.
12. Who will the coaches be?
The coaches are Kahn Morbee, Bobby van Jaarsveld, Lira and Karen Zoid.
13. Who will the presenter be?
The presenter has not yet been announced.
14. What will the winner get?
The full winner’s prize package will be announced at a later stage, but you can rest assured that it will include a recording contract from Universal Music.
15. How old to I have to be in order to audition?
You have to be 18 years of age or older to audition for The Voice SA.
16. Do I have to be a South African citizen in order to audition for The Voice SA?
Yes, you have to be a legal citizen of South Africa to enter.
17. Can I send a video submission online and attend the open call auditions?
Yes. You can submit a You Tube link of you performing a song to www.mnet.tv/thevoice .
If your online video does not get you fast tracked, you are welcome to come along and attend the open call auditions in the city closest to you too. The production team will notify you when they’ve received your online submission and will let you know if you’ve received a fast track.
Submit your online entry before closing dates for each city:
Cape Town: 12 October
Durban: 19 October
Johannesburg: 26 October
18. May I use a musical instrument in my online audition?
Yes, you may use a musical instrument in your online video submission.
19. When is the closing date for online submissions?
The closing dates for online You Tube video submissions are:
Monday, 12 October – anyone auditioning in Cape Town; Monday, 19 October – anyone auditioning in Durban; Monday, 26 October – anyone auditioning in Johannesburg
20. Can I audition with someone else?
Yes, you may enter as a duo with one other person if you wish.
21. When and where will the show be screened?
The show will air exclusively on M-Net Channel 101 on DStv from January 2016.
22. When are the closing dates for online submissions?
- Cape Town: 12 October
- Durban: 19 October
- Johannesburg: 26 October
Submit your online entry by these dates.