Our Sunday Night Movie Old is about a vacationing family discovering that the secluded beach where they've been relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.
While this sounds horrifying, the natural ageing process shouldn’t be. We have compiled some interesting facts about ageing.
- Gerontology is the study of ageing.
- At birth, we are generally born with 350 bones in our skeleton and as we age, the bones fuse, resulting in us having 206 bones as adults.
- Humans start to age as soon as they reach adulthood, at about 25 years old.
- The decline of our organs is partly caused by cell loss from these organs because they cannot replicate themselves fast enough to rebuild the organ.
- Pupil size decreases with age, making it harder to see.
- Taste buds die and do not regenerate as we age.
- By 60 years of age, we start to have difficulty breathing. 60-percent of men and 40-per cent of women will begin to snore when sleeping
- Skin loses its elasticity as people grow older.
- A change in hormones can cause hair to grow in strange places, such as in the nose for men or the chin for women.
- The spaces between the bones in your spine, called vertebrae, get closer together. This can make you look shorter as you get older.
Know of any other changes you'd like to share with us? Drop us a comment on our social platforms!