It’s the month of love and M-Net Movies Night Out is starting this romantic time of year with a screening of 50 Shades Darker. If you’re joining us, or are simply a huge fan of the franchise, here are a few things you need to know about the film (in case you don’t already).
- It’s based on the second novel of E.L. James’ 50 Shades trilogy. If you don’t know that, you’re probably not a fan.
- The second film picks up where the first one left off.
- Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson are obviously back as Christian and Ana. Other returning characters include Marcia Gay Harden as Christian’s mother, Grace, and Victor Rasuk as Ana’s friend José.
- New cast members include Kim Basinger as Elena Lincoln (a former business partner and lover of Christian’s), as well as horror star Bella Heathcote and The Knick star Eric Johnson.
- The soundtrack features duets by Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik, as well as one by Nicki Manaj and Nick Jonas; also listen out for a song by John Legend.
- The screenwriter is Niall Leonard, who just happens to be E.L. James’ husband. The script for the first film was written by Kelly Marcel.
- There’s also a new director attached: James Foley, who directed Glengarry Glen Ross. He’s also directed episodes of Twin Peaks, Hannibal, House of Cards, and Billions.
- The film was shot in Vancouver and Paris (the city of love!).
Missed out this month? March’s M-Net Movies Night Out is already open! Click here to enter and you could be joining us for Kong: Skull Island.