Julianne Margulies returns to her award-winning role in Season 7 of The Good Wife. The Chicago-set show has amassed a firm fan base over the years, but there may yet be a few interesting facts about the series that even the most ardent fan would be surprised to learn.
Check out these ten things about The Good Wife you probably didn’t know; and tune in for the Season 7 premiere on Saturday 9 January at 20:00 on M-Net.
1. Ashley Judd, Elisabeth Shue and Helen Hunt were all considered for the role of Alicia Florrick, which eventually went to Margulies. Clearly it was meant to be. To date, the actress has won a Golden Globe, two Emmys, and two SAG Awards for her performance in the show.
2. Alan Cumming’s character, Eli Gold, is loosely based on American politician Rahm Emanuel who is now the mayor of Chicago. His brother, Ari Emanuel, is the inspiration for Ari Gold in Entourage.
3. Even though The Good Wife is set in Chicago, it’s filmed in New York. It’s not the only show to use New York as a stand-in. The Americans and Madam Secretary, for example, are set in Washington D.C. but shot in New York. Conversely, shows like Friends and Suits – which are set in NYC – were shot elsewhere.
4. Award-winning actress Kristin Chenoweth guest starred in Season 2, but never completed her scenes due to injuries sustained on set. Her skull was fractured when a piece of lighting equipment fell on her during shooting.
5. Margulies, who plays a lawyer on the show, is married to one in real life.
6. As for her career path? If she weren’t acting, she would certainly not be pursuing the law. She would have been a baker instead.
7. Josh Charles, who played Will Gardner, had an impressive start to his career. His first movies were the musical Hairspray, and the Oscar-winning Dead Poets’ Society, with Robin Williams.
8. Speaking of musicals, you’ve probably spotted Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart) in song-and-dance numbers in Chicago, Mamma Mia! and Into the Woods. And, of course very non-musically, as Leonard’s mother in The Big Bang Theory.
9. The show keeps it fingers on the pulse of the law with the inclusion of three attorneys on its writing team, as well as a legal consultant.
10. Show creators Robert and Michelle King are a couple – they’ve been married for 27 years! They form part of the writing team – who say they knew how the show would end after only thirteen episodes.
On the note of endings, speculation has flown that this may be the last season. Whether or not this is the finale remains to be seen; but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We still have the whole of Season 7 to enjoy, so tune into The Good Wife on Saturday 9 January at 20:00 on M-Net.
For even more magic, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter using the hashtag #MNet. You’ll also find us on WeChat on the ID mnettv!.
Don’t forget you can download the M-Net app for Apple and Android. Planning your M-Net viewing has never been so easy.