Jackie Chan is undoubtedly one of the best martial artist actors out there, so we decided to take a look at ten fascinating facts about the high-kicking star.
1. While filming Armour of God, Jackie Chan successfully jumped from a wall to a tree for a stunt. Unhappy with the shot he asked to do it again, but missed the branch the second time round. He fell twelve metres, fracturing his skull and driving a chunk of bone into his brain tissue. Luckily, the emergency surgery saved his life!
2. He can sing! Chan is a trained opera singer and has released eleven studio albums and nine compilation albums. He has even sung for several Chinese dubs of Disney movies.
3. In addition to all that singing, he can speak Mandarin, Cantonese, English, German, Korean, Japanese, Thai and American Sign Language.
4. His real name is Chan Kong-Sang. He got the name Jackie while working in construction in Canberra, Australia.
5. Chan doesn’t like the Rush Hour movies. He was unhappy with the action scenes and didn’t appreciate the American humour; but he made the movie for the money he was offered.
6. He does not play villains.
7. Chan appeared in two of Bruce Lee’s movies - Fists of Fury and Enter the Dragon – as a stuntman. He used the name Chan Yuen Lung.
8. He created Sing Kar Pan, his very own stunt team. This occurred after he struggled to get himself insured, especially in the U.S. Having broken his nose, knocked out a tooth, lacerated his lip, dislocated his shoulder and endured many more injuries, it’s easy to imagine that insurance companies would be dubious.
9. Jackie Chan practically invented the Kung Fu comedy genre, after being granted free rein for his stunt work in Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow.
10. And yes: he really does do all his own stunts… in case you were wondering.