This week we’ll get hit with a cosmic force at our next M-Net Movies Night Out feature: X-Men: Dark Phoenix. But before we join our favourite mutants once more, here are a few things you need to know about the latest X-Men instalment.
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix is the twelfth instalment in the X-Men movies series. It will be released nationwide on Friday 7 June.
- It’s a sequel to 2016’s X-Men: Apocalypse.
- The first movie in the franchise, X-Men, was released 19 years ago. X-Men: Dark Phoenix is the last instalment in the main X-Men series.
- The next movie, The New Mutants, focuses on characters from the comic book spin-off of the same name and will be the last in this franchise. After that, X-Men will be absorbed into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Simon Kinberg, who has worked as a producer on X-Men: Days of Future Past, Fantastic Four, and X-Men: Apocalypse, makes his feature directorial debut with X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
- It’s based on the comic book storyline The Dark Phoenix Saga, written by Chris Claremont.
- Returning characters from X-Men: Apocalypse include Professor X, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, and of course, Jean Grey. Jessica Chastain joins the X-Men universe, although we don’t know her character’s name.
- This is the first movie in the franchise that won’t feature Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine in some capacity. He has previously starred or cameoed in nine of the other movies. His People magazine “Sexiest Man Alive” cover was used in Deadpool, with archive footage from X-Men Origins: Wolverine used in Deadpool 2.
- Shooting for X-Men: Dark Phoenix took place in Montreal, Canada.
- In an interview for the movie, Sophie Turner said Magneto is her favourite character.
Won tickets? We hope you enjoy the movie.
Missed out? Keep an eye on this page for more screenings.