Frequently Asked Questions
Overview of DStv Now
- What is DStv Now?
DStv Now is your gateway to the best in entertainment anytime, anywhere. As a DStv customer you can enjoy all of these features using the DStv Now app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Stream selected Live TV channels
- Catch Up on a selection of the most popular shows, sport, and movies
- Download up to 25 videos to enjoy offline later across 4 devices
- Use a safe and fun Kids viewing environment with PIN controlled access
- Access the full 8-day TV Guide and set reminders to plan your viewing
- Set remote recordings for your Internet connected DStv Explora
- View your DStv account balance, statements and clear error codes on your decoder(s) (available in South Africa only).
The Live TV and Catch Up content on DStv Now will be as per your DStv subscription package and country.
If you don’t have DStv, download the app, register, and start watching our selection of free live streaming channels and video on your smartphone or tablet (available in South Africa only). As long as you’ve got the data, you’re good to go.
- Who has access to DStv Now?
DStv Now is available to all DStv customers, the Live TV and Catch Up content will be as per your DStv subscription package and country. If you don’t have DStv, you can watch our selection of free live streaming channels and video (available in South Africa only).
- Which devices can I use to watch DStv Now?
DStv Now is available to certain Android devices (tablets and smartphones) and certain iOS devices (iPad and iPhone). DStv Now is also available on desktops via the DStv Now website, Android and Apple TV and selected Smart TV devices.
Android devices must be Google-certified and must be running Android version 4.4 (KitKat) or higher. You can check if your device is Google-certified by checking the Google Play Store settings.
We use the Google SafetyNet API to ensure that devices are not rooted (including factory rooted) or have a tampered boot loader. SafetyNet also ensures that the Google Play Store is supported by default on a device and the device is not running a side loaded version. We do not support side loading the DStv Now app on devices, the app must be installed via the play store.
For legal reasons, the DStv Now app is not available on uncertified Google devices. Please ensure that you are using a Google-certified device by going to Google Play Store Menu -> Settings -> Device Certification.
iOS devices must be running iOS10 or higher.
- DStv Now used to work on my device, now it doesn’t. What has changed?
DStv upgrades its security requirements from time-to-time to comply with rights agreements. This may impact devices that don’t comply with these changes.
- Where do I get the DStv Now app?
If you have an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) you can get DStv Now in the Apple App Store. The Android version of DStv Now is available to download from the Google Play Store.
- How much will it cost me to use DStv Now?
The DStv Now app is free to download and use, however data costs will apply.
- What do I need to start using DStv Now?
You need to be a DStv customer, have an Android or iOS device, have downloaded the app from the app store, have a Connect login and access to a broadband internet connection.
- I am not a DStv Customer what do I need to start using the DStv Now app?
If you don’t have DStv, you can also watch a selection of free live streaming channels and video on your smartphone or tablet (available in South Africa only). You need to have an Android or iOS device, have downloaded the app from the app store, have a Connect login and access to a broadband internet connection.
- How do I use DStv Now?
- Download the DStv Now app from your app store.
- You will be asked to login using your DStv account, if you don’t have a DStv account, please refer to the DStv account Login and Registration section of the FAQ’s.
- Select the Catch Up or Live TV content you’d like to watch, view the TV Guide or manage your account(s) using My DStv.
- What can I expect from the DStv Now App?
The DStv Now app provides DStv customers with Catch Up, Live TV streaming a TV Guide and My DStv.
Catch Up allows you to watch a selection of the most popular shows and movies on DStv for a minimum of seven days after the show was broadcast - including series, movies, documentaries and children’s programming.
DStv Now also has selected Live TV channels to watch on your smartphone and tablet.
An eight-day TV Guide showing Live programming on all DStv channels is also available. Remote recordings allow you to set recordings on your internet connected Explora.
My DStv is a way for you to manage your account(s) within the DStv Now app.
- How much data will DStv Now use?
As with any other video services, content streamed from DStv Now could potentially use large amounts of data.
Depending on the speed of your Internet connection you can expect to consume the following amount of data while streaming Live TV.
Standard Definition channel: between 1.95MB per minute and 13.5MB per minute.
High Definition channels can consume up to 20MB per minute.
Video sizes for Catch Up vary in size, depending of the quality of the video and the length of the title, Series can range from 200 – 400 MB Movies can be anywhere from 700 MB to 1,2 GB
- What Internet connection do I need in order to use DStv Now?
You can use DStv Now on any broadband internet connection, including ADSL, 3G/HSDPA, 4G/LTE or Wi-Fi. We require a minimum connection speed of 4Mbps, but for the best experience, we recommend a 10Mbps line or faster. It is also highly recommended that you use DStv Now in conjunction with an uncapped Internet account to avoid any data bills. Please familiarise yourself with what your ISP charges you for data, as DStv cannot be held responsible for high data bills received from your service provider.
- Is the video in DStv Now available in HD (High Definition)?
A selected number of channels are available in HD (High Definition) for Live Streaming. Catch Up videos are currently only available in SD (Standard Definition).
- Which Countries have access to DStv Now?
DStv Now is available in all African countries where DStv’s satellite services are available.
List of countries where you can access DStv Now.
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde Islands
- Central African Republic
- Congo Brazzaville
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Cote d'Ivoire
- Equatorial Guinea
- Gambia, The
- Guinea Bissau
- Sao Tome and Principle
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Tanzania and Zanzibar
- Is the content the same for every country?
Content may differ from one country to another based on content that is licensed for broadcast in your country.
- How many devices can I register to my DStv account?
You can register a maximum of four devices to your single DStv subscription, with a maximum of two simultaneous viewing streams across your registered devices.
This means that you can either: be streaming two Live TV channels OR stream two Catch Up videos OR stream one Live TV channel and one Catch Up video.
- How many videos can I download?
You can download a total of 25 videos, which can be divided between four registered devices. You can choose how many videos you want to have on each device, as long as the combined number on all your devices is not more than 25 at any one time.
- Can I use Airplay/Chromecast to stream DStv Now content from an iOS /Android device to a TV?
We currently offer Chromecast functionality on Android and iOS. We offer Airplay on iOS. Support for Chromecast and Airplay allows users to cast DStv Now content to their television.
- What is screen casting?
Screen casting allows you to play video from the DStv Now app on a larger screen in your home that is connected to either an AirPlay or Chromecast enabled device. Some smart TVs may also have this functionality available without the need for an additional device.
- How do I cast from my mobile device?
When you play a video in the DStv Now app, you will see the AirPlay or Chromecast icon in the video player controls. Tap this icon to cast to your AirPlay or Chromecast-enabled screen.
- Why don’t I see the AirPlay or Chromecast icon when I play back a video?
Ensure that your AirPlay or Chromecast device is properly connected to the same Wifi network as the device you’re casting from. Additionally, you may not have a device in your home that is enabled for either AirPlay or Chromecast.
- Where can I find out more about screen casting:
- How do I cast from my device using Google Chromecast?
With the DStv Now app, you can cast Live TV channels or Catch Up content from your mobile device to a Chromcast enabled device.
To cast from the DStv Now app, make sure that the device you want to cast to is connected to the same WiFi network as your mobile device.
Select the item you want to watch from either Live TV or Catch Up, press play, once playback starts you will see the casting icon alongside the other player controls, tap on the casting icon.
While casting, you will be able to use the DStv Now app to pause playback, change the volume or disconnect your device at any time.
Find out how to cast from your DStv Now app to your Chromecast enabled device by watching this video
- Why can’t I see the Chromecast icon?
This could be because your device is not on the same network as the Chromecast device, the cast device does not have internet access or casting has been disabled on your network i.e. port blocked on the router.
- How can I check if Chromecast is not working on the DStv Now app?
There are a few things to check before concluding that Chromecast is not working on the DStv Now app. The cast icon will not show up in the app if any one of the below is true:
- Your device is not connected to a WiFi network
- You do not have a cast enabled device e.g. Chromecast
- Your device is not on the same WiFi network as the Chromecast device
- There is no internet connection on the Chromecast device
- The WiFi network has the casting port blocked, this is true for most corporate environments where they block ports 9222 & 9223 on their WiFi network
- You have an older version of the app where casting is not supported
- How do I cast from my iOS device using Airplay?
With the DStv Now app for iOS, you can cast Live TV channels or Catch Up content from your mobile device using Airplay.
To use Airplay from the DStv Now iOS app, make sure that the Apple device you want to cast to is connected to the same WiFi network as your iOS mobile device.
With the DStv Now app, iOS users can stream Live TV and Catch Up content between devices with Apple Airplay.
There are two ways to cast using AirPlay on the DStv Now iOS app;
Select the item you want to watch from either Live TV or Catch Up, press play, once playback starts you will see the AirPlay icon alongside the other player controls, tap on the Airplay icon, a sheet will appear displaying all the discovered AirPlay devices. Once you have selected a device, playback will stop on your iPhone/iPad and continue on the AirPlay device.
While casting, you can control playback either on your mobile device or with the controls provided by the AirPlay device, such as an Apple TV remote.
While streaming, you will be able to use the DStv Now app to pause playback, change the volume or disconnect your Aiplay at any time.
Alternatively, AirPlay can be used to mirror the screen of your mobile device onto the screen of an AirPlay device. This is done by navigating to the iOS Home screen and swiping up from the bottom to reveal the system tray. On the system tray, you can enable AirPlay Mirroring. You can then open the DStv Now app and navigate to a Live TV or Catch Up item. When playback is started, the mirrored screen on the screen of the AirPlay device will be replaced by the live stream or selected asset playing in full screen.
- Can I cast downloaded Catch Up items?
You can cast downloaded content on iOS using Airplay. You cannot cast downloaded content on Android or iOS using Chromecast. Casting will only work for streaming live channels or streamed Catch Up content.
- When will my show be on Catch Up?
All shows are generally available within 24 hours but it does differ based on the type of content, here’s a general guideline:
- Express from the US: available immediately after the 1st broadcast on DStv
- Other series: available within 24 hours
- Live or near-live local shows such as Carte Blanche: available within 12 hours
- Movies: selected movies only, immediately available after the 1st broadcast on DStv
- Kids: Nickelodeon shows immediately after 1st broadcast, all other shows at the start of the month for the full month
- Sport highlights: available within 4 hours from the end of the event
- Sport programs: available within 24 hours
- Why is the online version of a show sometimes available before it is on my Explora?
The extended catalogue available when you connect your Explora to the internet, is updated via the internet, whereas the Catch Up that is delivered to your Explora goes via a satellite. This means that content might arrive sooner on the online catalogue than the Catch Up service on your decoder.
- What are the DStv Live TV channels?
These are the Live DStv channels that are currently being broadcast to DStv decoders, DStv Now allows you to view selected channels on your tablet and smartphone using your internet connection.
- Which channels are available for Live Streaming?
Your specific channel selection will depend on your DStv subscription package and the country where your DStv account is held. These channels can change without notice.
- Certain programs are not playing but display a black screen with a message, what does this mean?
Due to studio rights certain programs are not licensed for mobile devices.
- Can I record my favourite shows with DStv Now?
Unfortunately Live TV does not offer a record feature within the app. However, you can access a great selection of the most popular shows in Catch Up. Videos are available to stream and download on demand.
- Can I pause, fast forward and rewind like I do on my decoder?
These features are unfortunately not available for Live TV streaming, however can be used while watching Catch Up.
- Is the schedule on my TV the same as the schedule on the DStv Now app?
DStv Now follows the schedule of programs currently being broadcast on DStv. However, some shows may not be available due to studio licensing restrictions.
- I share my tablet with my kids; can I set parental controls on DStv Now to restrict my kid’s viewing?
This feature is currently not available on DStv Now. However, age restrictions are clearly marked. We urge you to closely monitor the content that your children may be watching on the app.
- What is the Kids section in the DStv Now app?
The Kids section of the DStv Now apps is a fun and safe environment for your kids to explore some of the coolest kids shows on DStv, you will find all the kids content from Catch Up within the Kids section. DStv Kids is found on the main menu of DStv Now.
- Who is DStv Kids appropriate for?
The content will be for kids between the ages of 2 to 10 years.
- How long is the content available for?
Studio rights differ and therefore some content is available for 7 days after broadcast on the relevant DStv channel and some up to 2 months.
- How do I restrict my child from watching adult content on the DStv Now app?
The Kids section has a Kids Lock system using a PIN number, which you set up when entering the Kids section for the first time. You are also able to access this feature from the DStv Now settings menu at a later stage.
Please note: even with Kids Lock enabled, your child is still able to exit DStv Now and use other applications on your tablet or smartphone.
- Kids Lock is enabled on my smartphone, does this mean my tablet and all my other devices that have the DStv Now app installed are locked?
No, the PIN Lock is only applied to one device and not all your devices that have the DStv Now app. You will have to set it up for each device.
- How do I download Kids content?
You can download Kids content from within the Catch Up section of DStv Now. After a download is complete it will appear in “My Videos” in DStv Kids.
The download functionality from within DStv Kids is disabled to restrict your children from downloading content without your permission.
- Can I filter content for different age groups?
Unfortunately this option is not available as yet; we are making provision to include it in the near future.
- Is the TV Guide on DStv Now the same TV Guide as the one on my decoder at home?
Yes, the TV Guide on DStv Now is the same as the TV Guide on your decoder but has a few added features.
- Some channels on the TV Guide are marked with this icon
- What does this mean?
All the Live Streaming channels are marked with this icon; it simply means you can watch Live TV on the selected channels that are marked.
- How many days worth of programming does the TV Guide display?
A total of eight days’ worth of programming, including the current day.
- How do I set a reminder on the DStv Now app?
Simply select the reminder icon within the TV Guide and choose whether you want to be reminded in 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours before the show starts.
- Will I be able to change the TV Guide view on my device?
Yes, the TV Guide provides 2 views: list and grid view, you can choose your preferred view by tapping on this icon
- There are programs on the TV Guide that are marked with an
- What does this mean?
By tapping the “i” you will get the full program description.
- Some Guide programs have this symbol
- What does this mean?
The programs that are marked with this icon cannot be streamed on the DStv Now app due to studio rights.
- What is remote recording?
Remote recording is a function on the DStv TV Guide that enables users to set recordings from their mobile devices to their decoders at home. This is a free service for DStv customers where DStv’s satellite services are available.
- What do I need so that I can start remote recording on my decoder?
- You need a DStv Explora decoder
- Network connectivity to your Explora
- A DStv account with your smartcard linked (Explora smartcard).
- Do I change my decoder settings to enable remote recording?
Yes, please follow the simple instructions below.
- Press the menu button on your remote (Blue button)
- Select Settings
- User Preferences
- Connected Services
- Remote recordings (Switch ON remote recordings)
- How does it work?
When you have met the above criteria, you will see this button upon clicking on a program. You can trigger the recording by clicking it.
- Can I record a program that is already airing?
Yes, the recording will start at the point you set the remote recording. You will not get a full episode recording.
- Can I delete my recorded programs using my mobile device on the DStv Now app?
Unfortunately the delete functionality is not yet available on the app, this will be available in the future.
- Can I remote record a series on the DStv Now app?
No, this functionality is not available yet but will be in the future.
- Will I be notified if my recording was successful or not?
Yes, if your recording was successful the following message will be displayed “Recording set”.
- Can I record two programs that are in the same time slot?
No, only one program can be recorded per time slot. If you attempt to record another program your decoder will automatically override the first recording and record the second.
This message will be displayed: “Your decoder resolved a conflict and scheduled your recording successfully”.
Note: Your decoder will look for another airing of your original recording and if it exists will set a recording for it.
Other remote recording messages:
If you attempt to record an event that is already recording: “A recording for this program has already been scheduled”.
If your recording was interrupted: “An error occurred, please try again”.
- What is My DStv?
My DStv is a way for you to manage your account(s) within the DStv Now app. You can access My DStv to view your balance, statements and clear error codes on your decoder(s). Currently this feature is only available in South Africa.
- When I go to My DStv, what services can I access?
View my balance, view statements and clear error codes on your decoder(s).
You can also log in to My DStv on www.dstv.com to access these and other services on your account(s).
DStv account Login and Registration
- What is a DStv account?
A DStv account is a profile that allows DStv customers and non-DStv customers to login to all the DStv websites and apps namely: SuperSport (website and app), dstv.com website, DStv Now (website and apps), Boxoffice (website) and other DStv sites, and allows us to serve you the content and sections of the app available to you based on your DStv subscription package and country.
- Why do I need to login to the DStv Now app using my DStv account?
DStv Now app features are only accessible after logging in using your DStv account; this allows us to serve you the sections of the app and content available to you based on your DStv subscription package and country.
- How and where do I go to register for a DStv account?
You can register for a DStv account from the Login section of the DStv Now app using the Regsiter link.
- I forgot my password, is there a way that I can retrieve it?
You can reset the password for your DStv account on the Login section of the app using the Forgot Password link.
- I no longer want to receive the DStv Now push notifications I am getting on my mobile device, where can I switch this off?
You can manage the push notifications you want to receive under the Manage Notifications section within Settings on the DStv Now app.
- I’m having a problem where can I get help?
We apologise if you are having problems using DStv Now on your mobile device.
Here’s how you can contact us:
Facebook: /DStv - https://www.facebook.com/DStvSouthAfrica
Twitter: @DStvCare - https://twitter.com/DStvCare
Our Call centre: 011 289 2222
You can also use the Contact Us and Live Chat options available under the Help section within Settings on the DStv Now app.