Mon 27 Nov 2017, 08:49
Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters was crowned Miss Universe, making history. Watch online on Vuzu, DStv Channel 116, and on DStv Now.
Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, a clear favourite, was crowned Miss Universe. The first and last SA winner of Miss Universe was Margaret Gardiner who won the title in 1978, 39 years ago.
Beating 91 other contestants to win the title of the contest held at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, Demi-Leigh, aged 22 was asked about the most important issue she thought was facing women in the workplace. The business management graduate replied that equal pay for equal work should apply to women all over the world.
Colombia’s Laura Gonzalez and Jamaica’s Davina Bennet were the runners-up.
If you missed the Confidently Beautiful Miss Universe broadcast or want to enjoy it again, watch online on Vuzu (DStv Channel 116) and on DStv Now, Monday 27 November at 20:00 and again Tuesday 28 November at 20:00 and on Sunday 3 December at 21:00. Watch the entire Miss Universe broadcast anytime, anywhere on DStv Catch Up.
South Africa, thank you for support and love throughout my #MissUniverse journey. I may be the new Miss Universe but I will always be your Miss South Africa - we did it! 🇿🇦🇿🇦🇿🇦 pic.twitter.com/QwHAXGsdVA— Demi-LeighNel-Peters (@DemiLeighNP) November 27, 2017
In a previous interview, Demi-Leigh, from Sedgefield in the Western Cape, spoke about her experience of being held at gunpoint a month after being crowned Miss South Africa, and how it made her passionate about women being trained in self-defense. She developed a programme and plans to use the Miss Universe platform to empower women to feel safer. She also hopes to be an advocate for HIV/AIDS, a very big problem facing South Africa. Demi-Leigh also encourages women to empower and stand up for each other against any abuse.
Demi-Leigh was a leader from an early age, having been elected Deputy Junior Mayor of the George City Council at the age of 11.
Her favourite quote is: ‘The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no-one else has ever been before’ by Albert Einstein.
We have no doubt that our confidently beautiful Demi-Leigh will make a success of her reign as Miss Universe and we are proud to support our South African ambassador!
This is what winning the crown means:
- A year-long salary as Miss Universe
- Luxury accommodation in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- A one-year supply of haircare products and tools
- A shoe wardrobe
- Personal services including fitness membership and hotel and hair services
- A modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographers
- Dermatology and skincare services
- A professional health and nutrition consultation
- Professional representation by The Miss Universe Organization
- Extensive travel representing sponsors and charity partners
- Access to various events, including casting opportunities, movie premiers, screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties
- Personal appearance wardrobe and styling by the official Miss Universe Organisation fashion stylist
When the news broke of Demi-Leigh's crowning moment, Twitter went into a frenxzy of excitement:
Congratulations to Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel Peters @DemiLeighNP on being crowned #MissUniverse 2017. Thank you representing us with distinction and flying our flag high 🇿🇦 pic.twitter.com/nXZIYsal8W— Min. Nathi Mthethwa (@NathiMthethwaSA) November 27, 2017
DStv Now can be accessed online at now.dstv.com or through the app for tablets and smartphones. The app is free to download on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and is available to all DStv customers.
by Alice da Silva