Fri 09 Sep 2016, 09:12
Jenny Morris, also known as The Giggling Gourmet, shares her recipe!
4 egg whites
1 tsp white vinegar
6 tbls water
300ml thick whipped cream
1tsp orange zest
150g blue berries
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
2. Line a baking tray with paper or silicone baking sheet
3. Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer , add the egg whites to the mixing bowl, make sure it is spotlessly clean,
4. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
5. Whisk in 1 tsp white vinegar.
6. Now make a sugar syrup by mixing the sugar and water together over a medium heat, keep your eyes open for any bits of sugar clinging to the side of the saucepan, use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush down the sides into the syrup so that it can melt. If you don’t you will end up with a grainy sugar syrup.
7. Once all of the sugar is dissolved, bring it to a rolling boil until it reaches 120C.
8. Once the syrup reaches the correct temperature, pour it onto the egg whites in a thin, steady stream whisking as you go
9. When all the syrup has been mixed, continue to whisk the meringue until it has cooled. It should be shiny and stiff.
10. Allow to cool completely before using.
11. Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe 16 thick lines about 6cm long,
12. Bake for 60 minutes or till firm to the touch.
13. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar so that the meringue cools down.
14. To assemble: Mix together the cream, orange zest and honey.
15. Top 8 of the meringues with fresh cream and berries
16. Cover with the remaining meringues and dust with icing sugar.