Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:00
We look at 13 series set in NYC that we love!
Have you ever stopped to think how some of your favourite shows have all been set in New York City? On TV, as in life, NYC remains one of the best cities to visit to experience exciting new things or realise your dreams.
With the current exciting competition where you can stand a chance to win a trip to New York City*, it only seemed fitting to take a look at some of the best shows set in the city of dreams!
1. 30 Rock: Short for 30 Rockefeller Plaza, the address of NBC headquarters, 30 Rock brought us episodic doses of Liz Lemon which we never complained about.
2. Seinfeld: Who didn’t want to hang out at Tom’s Restaurant or witness that famous scene at the Soup Kitchen? Upper West Side NYC always had us captivated!
3. Sex and the City: Carrie Bradshaw made us all want to pack our bags and book a one way flight to the Big Apple!
4. Gossip Girl: GG showed us why NYC is one of the fashion capitals in the world. Hello Gucci, do you have my purchases ready?
5. Will & Grace: This was the comedic definition of living in NYC and we all wanted Jack to be our BFF!
6. Law & Order: No other show went deeper into the depths of NYC’s criminal justice system than Law & Order. After many years, 15 to be precise, the show still has us transfixed.
7. Friends: Sure, we can’t grab a coffee at Central Perk but one can hope and dream, right? From Joey’s failed acting attempts to Rachel’s corporate aspirations, we all wished to be a part of the group in the big city!
8. Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Not exactly Law & Order material, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Tuesday at 19:00 CAT on Vuzu Amp) offers its own comedic charm, set in the city we all want to disappear within.
9. 2 Broke Girls: Max and Caroline show us that reaching your dreams is definitely not easy but in NYC anything is possible! Watch them grow their cupcake business in 2 Broke Girls, Tuesdays at 18:00 CAT on M-Net.
10. Mad Men: A fascinating look at 50s New York, Mad Men had to be included in our list, no doubt.
11. Project Runway: Who doesn’t love a good fashion show? With Heidi Klum as host and Tim Gunn practically working as an NYC tour guide disguised as a mentor, the show makes us want to take to travelling. From Brooklyn to Central Park, if you want some NYC insight this show will give you just that! Catch Project Runway: Threads Tuesdays at 20:30 CAT on Vuzu Amp.
12. Saturday Night Live!: "Live from New York City, its Saturday Night!" - it never gets old, trust us.
13. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Celebrities and comedy right in the middle of the city of dreams, we love our daily dose of Fallon from in front of the NYC skyline! Catch The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon weeknights at 17:30 CAT on MTV!
With so many shows to choose from, it was definitely hard to narrow it down. Tell us about your favourite shows set in New York City and don’t forget to enter to stand a chance to win a trip to NYC with MTV*.
* Terms and conditions apply