Wed 09 Sep 2015, 08:00
Having debuted just two months ago, M-Net’s Southern African focussed general entertainment channel Zambezi Magic (DStv channel 160) continues to search for and identify relevant new titles that it can add to its developing content line-up.
Aiming to consolidate on its promising start, the channel unveiled an exciting slate of new programming that it recently acquired to ensure that its viewers across the region stay tuned in.
Speaking on the channel’s origin and strategy for the future, Zambezi Magic Channel Head Addiel Dzinoreva says that while the channel is still in its early days, its aims are in sync with those of M-Net’s more established African channels and in line with M-Net’s long history in sub-Saharan Africa.
"Having always championed the need to showcase African content, we appreciate the demand for a channel like Zambezi Magic as there are series, movies, music, documentaries and more from Southern Africa that need to be screened to a wider regional audience. Now as we enter month three of the channel’s life, we are more convinced than ever that Zambezi Magic has the potential to grow in line with audience expectations so we plan to continue evolving to meet this goal."
Among the new acquisitions set to appear on the channel from October are the following highlight programs:
• Zambezi News – a popular satirical comedy that touches a range of issues from politics to sport and much, much more. The Zimbabwe-made show features the comical news presenters Mandape Mandape, Jerome Weathers and Kudzaishe Mushayahembe. Alongside the success of the series have been numerous live shows at festivals in Zimbabwe, Sweden, South Africa (at the renowned SA Comic’s Choice Awards) and Swaziland (Bush Fire Festival).
• Tonight with Zororo is a vibrant current affairs series, hosted by Zororo Makamba, which profiles youth oriented, socio-economic issues from the prospective of young urbanite Zimbabweans.
• Kumwesu, which translates into "Our Place" in a Zambian dialect, is a half-hour lifestyle and entertainment magazine program that showcases the Southern African lifestyle.
• Situations is a sketch comedy series about ordinary people who occasionally find themselves in humorous situations. Get ready to laugh out loud because this show is all about the laughs!
• The Malawian drama series Choices is set in Blantyre and centres on four childhood friends trying to pursue their dreams in a male-dominated world.
• Love Games is a romance themed weekly series that looks at love and relationships among five young women in urban Lusaka.
• Also make a date for the must-watch music shows from Zambia and Zimbabwe, Top 10 Zed and Top 10 Zim.
Plus there are a host of great movies to enjoy on Zambezi Magic as well!
• Dust and Fortunes is about a disabled young man who is passionate about soccer and dreams about making it big in the soccer fraternity. Starting a soccer team with a group of cattle herd boys, his goal is to play the League Champions.
• Movie fans can also tune in for Maria’s Vision, a Zimbabwean diaspora story about love and deception shot in the United Kingdom. Meanwhile Playing Warriors explores the conflict that exists between notions of traditional and modern lifestyles and how a group of female friends navigate this.
For more news and information, visit the official Zambezi Magic website.
Zambezi Magic is available across Southern Africa to DStv Premium, DStv Compact Plus and DStv Compact subscribers.