By: Jocelyn Uithaler | Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:00
We have started our countdown to the return of the hit drama series The Walking Dead.
Make sure to cancel all of your plans and set your PVR for Monday 15 February at 21:00 when this post-apocalyptic series returns to FOX (125).
One of our favourite characters on The Walking Dead is actress Danai Gurira and here are five things to know about the actress who plays a menace of a sword-wielding survivor and zombie fighter.
1. Danai was born on Valentine’s Day in America to Zimbabwean parents. She and her family moved to Harare when Danai was five-years-old. She moved back to the US to study psychology after completing high school.
2. Recently, Danai was cast in the role of Afeni Shakur, mother of rap legend Tupac Shakur, in the biopic All Eyez on Me.
3. Danai studied at the prestigious New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, which counts Josh Radnor, Kenyan actor Edi Gathegi and Sean Patrick Thomas as its alumni. You can see Radnor as Ted Mosby in How I Met Your Mother, weeknights at 19:10 on Comedy Central (122), Gathegi in Twilight on Sunday 14 February at 20:00 on M-Net Movies Stars (111) and Thomas in Save The Last Dance on Saturday 13 February at 11:40 on M-Net Movies Romance (107).
A photo posted by Danai Gurira (@danaigurira) on Jan 23, 2016 at 11:45am PST
4. Danai wrote a play that’s heading to Broadway! Kenyan actress and Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o leads the cast in Eclipsed, which is set during Liberia’s second civil war.
5. Together with Patience G Tawenga, Danai co-founded a non-profit organisation Almasi, with the focus on the dramatic arts in Zimbabwe.
Make a date with FOX on Monday 15 February at 21:00 for the return of the walkers in The Walking Dead.