Mon 12 Oct 2015, 15:04
Best Director Kunle Afolayan then and now
Where are they now? #2015AMVCA Winner Kunle Afolayan
Award winning actor, director and producer, Kunle Afolayan has had a very busy year. While still basking in the runaway success of his period thriller October 1 which screened in 2014, his cast and crew picked up several awards at this year’s Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards including Best Director and Best Picture.
Despite October 1 being hit hard by pirates, Afolayan has remained steadfast in his creative pursuits. He shot a TV series Eko Law and is currently in production of his next movie, The CEO which stars a diverse cast from across the continent of Africa including the award winning performing artiste Angelique Kidjoe.
Recently named a brand ambassador for Air France, Afolayan’s October 1 garnered three awards at the 11th edition of the Africa Movie Academy Awards in Port Elizabeth (Costume Design, Best Nigerian Film and Best Actor in a Leading Role).
Enter for AfricaMagic Viewers Choice Award 2015 now.
Did You Know?
- His father was the famous thespian and filmmaker Ade Love.
- He started his career as a banker before he was bitten by the acting bug.
- He got his big break playing Aresejabata in Tunde Kelani’s Saworoide where he played the role
- He is an alumnus of the New York Film Academy.
- His brother is the talented actor and musician Gabriel Afolayan.
Have you watched any of Kunle Afolayan’s movies? Let us know your favourite.
- Araromire: The Figurine
- Phone Swap
- October 1
By Isabella Akinseye