The awards season is here and the proverbial red carpet is out. DStv audiences can expect to see an array of the most prestigious awards in the film, television, music and sports industries.
• DStv kicked off the season with a live broadcast of the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards
that took place on Monday, 10 January in Beverly Hills. The night was filled with excitement, surprises, fashion and glamour and leading Hollywood stars Jamie Foxx, Halle Berry, Jennifer Lopez and Kerry Washington were just some of the stars that graced the event. Les Misérables
, Game Change
emerged as big award winners of the evening.
• Next up on the coveted list of awards ceremonies is the 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. The star- studded evening will also pay homage to veteran actor, Dick Van Dyke, as he receives the SAG 49th Life Achievement Award. Nominated stars include Denzel Washington, Nicole Kidman and Robert De Niro. Meanwhile Lincoln
holds the most nominations in the film category, while Modern Family
leads the television category. Tune into the live screening on M-Net Movies Premiere on Monday, 28 January at 03:00 CAT. The rescreening of the Screen Actors Guild Awards will be on M-Net Movies Premiere (Monday, 28 January at 20:30 CAT) and M-Net Movies Stars (Saturday, 2 February at 18:00 CAT
• In celebration of the hottest trendsetters in fashion, the 9th Annual Style Awards honoured fashion icons, celebrities and the style elite who have led the way in the world of fashion in 2012. The event was highly supported with A-list appearances from Nicole Richie, Katie Holmes, Iman and industry veteran Carolina Herrera. DStv audiences can watch Style on Sunday, 3 February at 22:10 CAT
to see these Awards and last year’s unforgettable moments in fashion.
• On Sunday, 10 February, the Staples Center will come alive as the American music industry honours the best of its talent at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards
. Nominated artists include Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West, Drake, Wiz Khalifa and Lil Wayne. Apart from the music, viewers can eagerly look forward to seeing the outfits, dates and stunts the artists have in store for the day. Channel O will screen the awards live on Monday, 11 February at 03:00 CAT. DStv viewers can also catch the rescreening of the awards on Channel O on Thursday, 14 February at 19:00 CAT, Saturday, 16 February at 10:00 CAT and on Sunday, 24 February at 14:00 CAT.
• The 66th British Academy Film Awards will also be held on Sunday, 10 February at the Royal Opera House in London. Box office favourite, Lincoln leads with 10 Nominations
, with Les Misérables
and Life of Pi
following close behind with nine nominations. DStv viewers can see the live screening on M-Net Movies Premiere on Monday, 11 February at 00:01 CAT, with a rescreening on M-Net Movies Premiere (Monday, 11 February at 20:30 CAT) and M-Net Movies Stars (Saturday, 16 February at 18:00 CAT).
• Awards ceremonies are never complete without a preview of the stars’ glamourous gowns and tuxedos. DStv viewers will get the inside scoop on E! Entertainment. Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic will be reporting from the red carpet on Sunday, 24 February at 23:30 CAT, with all the latest gossip and fashion updates at the 85th Annual Academy Awards.
• Following the red carpet review, audiences can tune into the live screening of the 85th Annual Academy Awards
on M-Net Movies Premiere on Monday, 25 February at 03:00 CAT. The highly anticipated night in Hollywood will also pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film series. DStv viewers will also be able to see a rescreening on M-Net (Monday, 25 February at 20:30 CAT), M-Net Movies Premiere (Tuesday, 26 February at 20:30 CAT) and M-Net Movies Stars (Saturday, 2 March at 18:00 CAT).
Additionally, viewers have the opportunity to see an Oscar-winning movie every day in February on M-Net Movies Showcase and M-Net Movies Premiere.
• The Fashion Police
team on E! Entertainment, anchored by Joan Rivers, Giuliana Rancic, George Kotsiopoulos and Kelly Osbourne, will eagerly critique styles from the 2013 Academy Awards. Watch as they pass their verdict on the night’s fashion hits and misses on Wednesday, 27 February at 21:00 CAT.
• March is tipped to be a big month for the African continent’s film and television industry, with the first ever Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards
, in association with MultiChoice. The awards will be held in Lagos, Nigeria on Saturday, March 9 and will be screened live on Africa Magic Entertainment and Africa Magic.
• Viewers can also look forward to the Annual Laureus World Sports Awards taking place in Rio de Janeiro on Monday, 11 March. Africa will proudly be represented by nominee and Ethiopian long distance runner, Tirunesh Dibaba in the Comeback of the Year category, while Namibian Paralympic gold medalist, Johanna Benson is nominated in the Sportsperson with a Disability category. Keep watching Supersport and check out www.supersport.com
for screening dates, times and channels which will be announced closer to the time.
So whatever you do, make sure you don’t miss this this jam packed Awards season as it unfolds on DStv! For more information on the upcoming Awards, log on to www.dstv.com
Please note that programming, dates and times are subject to change. In addition, please note that different channels are available on different DStv bouquets and in different countries.